top of page


According to the California DMV:


In lieu of California registration, you can get a one trip permit (for a fee) to move a vehicle (California Vehicle Code (CVC) §4003):

  • When unladen, for one continuous trip from a place within California to a place in or outside California or from outside California to a place in California (by the most direct route).

  • For participation as a vehicular float or display in a lawful parade or exhibition for one round trip from one place to another. The total round trip cannot exceed 100 miles and must be completed within 60 days.

A one trip permit is also valid for a nonresident:

  • To move a newly purchased trailer coach into California.

  • Member of the armed forces to move an unregistered trailer coach they own into, out of, or within California.

A one trip permit cannot be used to move a crane or trailer coach owned by a California resident.

Issuing a one trip permit doesn’t affect California tax requirements. 

Forbidden Uses—A REG 402T is not valid for:

  • Operation of a loaded commercial vehicle, unless the vehicle is being moved to participate in a parade or display.

  • Travel by a circuitous or indirect route. Caution the applicant that the trip must be made by the most direct route.

  • Movement of a trailer coach owned by a California resident, because presence of the trailer coach in California requires that it be registered.

  • Movement of a crane (CVC §4003) or vehicle requiring an oversize permit issued by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) (CVC §35780).


According to the California DMV:

You can get a no-DMV fee one-day vehicle moving permit to move vehicles:

  • With a PNO on file from the current place of storage to another place of storage.

  • To or from a garage or repair shop for the purpose of repairs or alteration.

  • For the purpose of dismantling or wrecking.

  • From one place to another for the purpose of:

    • Inspection by DMV or the CHP.

    • Assignment or verification of a VIN.

    • Inspection of pollution (smog) control devices.

    • Weighing the vehicle.

    • Obtaining brake/light certificates.

  • That are incomplete or under construction.

  • By a dealer, distributor, or manufacturer from their place of business to a place where the vehicle will be altered or supplied.

  • By a dealer, distributor, manufacturer, remanufacturer, or transporter from a vessel, railroad depot, or warehouse to a warehouse or salesroom.

  • From an impound yard.

The moving date you choose must be within 60 days of the issue date and it must be entered on the permit by you

bottom of page